Sunday, July 17, 2022

Persuasion -> Commitment -> Persistence -> Determination

I began the week thinking about commitment, how you have to be committed if you are going to accomplish anything meaningful. But then I began to think about, "well, what comes before commitment… and what comes after". As I thought it through and did a little web searching, I arrived at the above continuum, if it could be called such a thing. The critical piece for me in supporting Jeannine, and the larger team, is what order do I install systems that keep us unflaggingly pursuant of our collective vision. In other words, what systems keep us on mission?

 

Of course, this has me thinking about all manner of efficiency, from "ways of work" inherent to the KIPP ways of doing things (O3, Relay Protocols, Tableau, etc), to the more high level mechanisms of collaboration like Gantt Charts, Naming Conventions, and Documentation. 

 

The tricky thing is that these high level systems must be established while we are in the weeds. I have to work toward getting a comprehensive data compliance calendar while right now chasing down meeting deadlines I am unaware of. Chief Brooks, in a nod to an esteemed colleague, said, "he's on the dance floor, he's on the balcony, and he's in the airplane above." And thus I fit determination into another framework, yet to be named, but clearly less horizontal… more VERTICAL!

 


Update: so that I knew I was on the right track with this post, Sadie and I opened a fortune cookie and the fortune read as follows:

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Of course, I had to look up the source of this most excellent fortune (theologically innacurate though it may be). Google's top and featured hit was the following:


Take a look at the screenshot. To egg me further on, as if I needed that, the article was written for the Tennessean!

If that is not persuasive, I don't know what is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspired Larrikinism

The condition for a miracle is difficulty, however the condition for a great miracle is not difficulty, but impossibility. ~Angus Buchan Usu...