Sunday, February 19, 2023

Inspired Larrikinism

The condition for a miracle is difficulty, however the condition for a great miracle is not difficulty, but impossibility. ~Angus Buchan

Usually when you are searching for something, you find it. That's faith speaking! What I've been searching for recently is a disposition. Something that speaks to what I celebrate in unruliness, or even rebelliousness, that is settled on having a reason for such misbehavior. I found a term capturing this sentiment: larrikin. 

Since the days of attending Australian church-plants in the City, I've come to appreciate the unassuming way that Australians do Christianity. The Faith Like Potatoes movie can also be cited as some inspiration in my understanding of the Aussie-style Christian faith. And so now I aspire to connect with a simpler, rowdier me that is wild about Jesus and cross and not so concerned with rules, regulations, and the right way of doing things.

I sense a stirring of the pot going this way, as we may have gotten too accustomed to being calculating. It makes sense to think of life this way the older we get in the information age. Is it not irresponsible to do things dumbly when we have so much access to proper methodologies? But then what of faith? What of miracles? What of Jesus NOW?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrikin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_like_Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspired Larrikinism

The condition for a miracle is difficulty, however the condition for a great miracle is not difficulty, but impossibility. ~Angus Buchan Usu...